International Arbitration Against Poland
Invenergy is a leading global clean energy developer, owner and operator. Headquartered in the U.S., Invenergy has large-scale renewable and other clean energy generation and storage facilities in the Americas, Europe and Asia.
Since 2005, Invenergy has been one of the largest foreign investors in Poland, having invested hundreds of millions of dollars of its own equity capital to develop and construct eleven wind projects. These investments were secured based on binding, long-term contracts with Polish State-controlled energy conglomerates. Shortly after these projects were constructed, the Polish Government initiated a series of coordinated actions intended to terminate or avoid obligations under the Invenergy contracts and destabilize the broader wind industry.
The facts and circumstances surrounding this unfortunate chapter—attempting to unilaterally terminate long-term contracts and refusing to negotiate a good faith settlement, among others—raise serious doubts about Poland's investment climate.
This website provides information on Invenergy’s efforts to seek relief through international arbitration under the U.S.-Poland Bilateral Investment Treaty.
- Press Release: “Invenergy Files for International Arbitration Against the Republic of Poland for Violations of the United States-Poland Bilateral Investment Treaty”: English / Polish
- Press Release: “Invenergy submits notification of dispute to Polish Government under Bilateral Investment and Energy Charter Treaties”: English / Polish
- Press Release: “Invenergy Files Claim Against Second Polish Government-Controlled Utility”: English / Polish
- Press Release: U.S. Energy Investor Sues Polish State-Controlled Energy Giant for $325M for Unlawful Termination of Contracts: English / Polish
Notable Press Coverage
- U.S. State Department Investment Climate Statement on Poland: English
- Gazeta Prawna, “The Government: it is not the State Treasury that should be a party to disputes with wind farms”: English / Polish
- Bloomberg, “U.S. Wind Firm Seeks $700 Million in Damages From Poland” (10/16/17): English
- Financial Times, “Invenergy presses Polish government over $700m wind farm dispute” (10/15/17): English
- Financial Times, “Bill threatens Polish wind power, warns industry” (4/17/16): English